Thursday, October 24, 2013

Safe Spot

The safe spot has become a total lifesaver in my classroom. 
What is the Safe Spot? 
First, let me tell you what it is not. 
IT IS NOT TIMEOUT. 

The safe spot is a positive place to be. If students have a negative association with it, such as timeout, it's purpose will not work. 
The Safe Spot is a place children can go when they need to get away from it all. Some examples:
1. They miss their mom,dad,etc.
2. They just want to be left alone.
3. A friend hurt their feelings.
4. They wanted a certain toy and someone else got it first.

Children can go to the Safe Spot on their own initiative, or a teacher can suggest they go there. When I suggest a child go there (usually when they are about to have a major meltdown or temper tantrum) I stress THEY ARE NOT IN TROUBLE, that I am not upset with them, they just need to calm down.     Students may leave the safe spot when they are feeling better.

Here are some rules I have for my Safe Spot:
1. Only 1 child at a time, it is not a play center.
2. They cannot go there and continue to have their meltdown. They must find something at the Safe Spot (examples below) to help them calm down. 
3. Safe Spot items stay at the Safe Spot.

My room is tiny, so unfortunately my Safe Spot is small. If you have room, you can add soft seating to make the spot inviting. Try to locate the Spot away from traffic as much as possible. I have mine by our cubbies and the door, away from all the centers.

At the beginning of the year we go over these charts; feelings, appropriate choices. I then post them in the Safe Spot as reminders. 




The above cards can be found by following the Conscious Discipline link. These are actions children can do to relieve stress. I introduce these actions at the beginning of the year by reading "Mean Soup" and "When Sophie Gets Really Angry" . The children love these stories and the actions. I repeat the lesson several times the first few weeks of school and occasionally throughout the year.
Below are examples of items you can put in the Safe Spot to help students calm down.






No comments:

Post a Comment